Monday 1 November 2010

Name That Blog!

Well it is probably appropriate in this post for me to explain the title behind my new blog.  A few months after moving to the country we decided to expand our family by getting a dog, which also led to us to develop our habit of long afternoon walks in the forests around our home.  As it was summer time it wasn't long before we noticed an abundance of small purple berries growing in vast quantities in some areas of the forest, and a quick google confirmed they were in fact bilberries, or perhaps I should say blaeberries as they are called here in Scotland.  Our next few dog walks were devoted to bilberry picking, which our new labrador Dylan enjoyed as much as we did as he tried to find the juiciest berries to nab for himself.  I made some delicious bilberry jam with our haul and have tried to repeat the exercise each summer since then, and jam-making remains one of my favourite ways to spend a free afternoon, it is just so satisfying.  Unfortunately the cleaning-up afterwards isn't so much fun, so it's probably a good job I only indulge in it once or twice a year!

So that explains the bilberries, and as for the bunting well it's a bit of a cheat as I've never made any proper fabric bunting, but this week I have just made some lovely paper bunting for my son's first birthday next week.  I found these gorgeous downloadable bunting letters http://ruffledblog.com/printable-alphabet-bunting/ and supplemented them with triangles cut out of some decorated paper to make a bunting banner for his special day.  Next year I've promised to do a proper fabric version so watch this space!


So there we have it.  My first foray into country crafts and my most recent. 

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment